Present generation is a generation of tweets , status updates, Instagram posts, hashtags, selfies, 1000+ virtual friends – a generation of ‘ cyber socialites ‘. If all the listed things appear jargon to you –
- You live in a cave , and
- You HAVE a life !! (err , as in you have a cave life and not a cyber social life (pun intended ) –Alas ! you are still a homosapien .You have a lot to evolve – Behold the arrival of the ‘Cyber Socialites’. )
The advent of the social media has brought an enormous change in the way people communicate and portray themselves. I am on the same page with the social media enthusiasts when they say this platform is a fantastic opportunity to be in touch with one’s near and dear ones. Not only that, it helps to share and promote humanitarian causes as well. But social media , nowadays , is doing everything , except for fulfilling its primary objective
For example :
1. A status update by a girl: Feeling loved with . ( I am tracking your moods on a regular basis. Noted that down. )
2. A status update by a guy: My friends gave me a surprise birthday party. Feeling blessed. ( I almost cried at this one …!! )
3. A random status update: feeling meh ( what is that even suppose to mean ? )
4. Location update by a random classmate : ***** was at Indira Gandhi International Airport. ( Okay , so you are in Delhi – 1200 kms away from me. Now I have to change my plans for the day ! Thanks for the update ! )
5. A guy uploaded 200 pictures in a album titled ‘ 2-day trip to Dubai ’ (Are you kidding me ? Oh ! he missed to upload the pic of the dessert he had in lunch on the 2nd day – I wanted to see that too.. 😛 )
6. Instagram picture of a girl at Goa beach : #funatGoa#beach#sunshine#family#goodfood#heaven#lifeisgood (My reply : #hardToread#whatyouwrote#usespacepleaese#Idontlikethisformat#gettingaheadache )
The Best One :
Status Update : Earthquake !! What should I do ? Feeling scared (You can start with getting yourself to safety first ) – Although I agree that during earthquakes, social media do help to connect people when the telecom networks are down.
Thank God ! twitterverse allows only 140 characters, otherwise our live feed would get a saga every second . but I hear, even they are going to remove this restriction & let people flow their emotions into every tweet.
Cutting to the chase, I believe that nowadays people are getting more superficial on social media – trying to snatch everyone’s attention with their random posts, status updates, location and entire itinerary of their vacations. There is little information and a lot of garbage. I am not against sharing one’s memorable moments, but I don’t think that means his entire routine. If one wants to give his opinion on something or share his pedantic stories, he should start a blog. Interested people will follow.
I do not want to nip the beginners’ enthusiasm in the bud. Try your hand at social media for sure. ( Being an amateur once on social media – I, too, have my share of ludicrous status updates and tweets !) . But do not become an over expressive , superficial cyber socialite. There is still more to a cave man ‘s life than meet the eyes.